Is there any difference between software and manufacturing?
Last week we participated in a preparation session for an upcoming webinar. The person we will be presenting with is involved Quality Management for Products while I was representing Software.
It was quite surprising how similar we sounded in terms of what we do:
- Product Planning Phase turning into Requirements.
- Design Phase
- Testing Phase
- Production Phase
- We both wanted measurements and opportunity to institute process improvement.
- We both looked at the entire lifecycle.
- We both looked at training as a method of attaining Quality objectives.
- We both end up with a product.
- We both wanted to add process improvement at all stages.
There does not seem to be a lot of difference. But, then again, we took our Quality Assurance from Crosby, Deming and Juran.
If you have input on the above, you might want to consider our survey.